Chef Jose’s Corner #4 – 04.22.2014
It’s Tuesday and we’re back with another edition of Chef Jose’s Corner. Today’s recipe is for Flattened Turkey Meatballs (Albondigas de Pavo Molido), Cabbage in Salsa de Sofrito) and Poached Chayotes.
ALBONDIGAS de PAVO MOLIDO
(Flattened Turkey Meatballs)
1 pound Lean Ground Turkey
1 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Combine all the ingredients except the EVOO and mix well.
2. Form into balls and flatten like mini hamburger sliders
3. Heat 2 TBSP EVOO in a pan.
4. Sear the meatballs until they have a good, slightly dark color on both sides, then remove from heat and set aside. They will not be cooked thoroughly at this point.
CABBAGE in SALSA de SOFRITO
1 TBSP Garlic, minced
1 Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, Chopped
2 Roma tomatoes
1 bunch Cilantro
2 Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce
½ Cup Low Sodium Chicken stock or water
½ head of Cabbage, shredded
1. Sauté garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, and chipotle peppers in a pan until soft.
2. Place the sautéed vegetables in a blender and add the Chicken Stock.
3. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan you used to sauté the vegetables and add half the sauce from the blender. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Place the meatballs in the pan with the cabbage and sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Using a thermometer, check the meatballs and stop cooking when the temperature reads 165 (F) for 15 seconds.
6. Use the extra sauce to top the meatballs or as a side dipping sauce.
2 Chayotes, peeled with gloves on and cut into thick slices
2 cups Low sodium Chicken broth
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Garlic, minced
½ Onion, minced
1. Add Low Sodium Chicken Broth to medium sauce pan along with salt, garlic, and onion.
2. Peel the Chayote and cut into thick slices.
3. Add the Chayote to boiling broth then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. The Chayote is fully cooked when it can be punctured easily with a fork.
Jose Martinez is the Head Chef at Woodward Academy North Campus, Boot Camp rock star and recent Paleo convert. Jose will be sharing his tasty creations on a regular basis, so check back often for more delicious meals!