Chef Jose’s Corner #2
It’s Tuesday! Time for another tasty recipe from Chef Jose! Today, in Chef Jose’s Corner, is a tasty, yet simple recipe for Meatball Vegetable Soup. You can make a large batch and freeze the leftovers for a night when you are too busy to cook. The recipe as written serves up to 10, so there should be plenty to freeze!
1 ½ pounds Grass Fed Ground Beef, Ground Pork, or half and half
1 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Onion powder
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Pepper
1. Combine ground meat with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Form into small, uniform sized meatballs. To assist in uniformity, you can use a small ice cream scoop size 16 or 18. If you don’t have one, measure with your fingers or a small spoon.
3. Set aside.
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
2 Yellow Squash, diced
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
1 Zucchini, diced
2 Carrots, diced
2 Celery stalks, diced
2 TBSP Chili powder
2 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
4 Quarts vegetable stock or beef stock for meatier flavor
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Green Onions, cut bias
1. Sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in a large stockpot, until onion is translucent
2. Add the rest of vegetables and seasonings, continue to sauté
3. Add the stock and allow to boil, once it boils add the uncooked meatballs, you set aside earlier
4. Let the soup simmer until the sweet potato and meatballs are fully cooked approx. 35-40 min.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste
6. Garnish with freshly cut green onions
Jose Martinez is the Head Chef at Woodward Academy North Campus, Boot Camp rock star and recent Paleo convert. Jose will be sharing his tasty creations on a regular basis, so check back often for more delicious meals!